Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Today in Mets History 9/28

On September 28th 2008, The New York Mets played their last game at Shea Stadium and closed its doors forever.

It was a balmy day and highly stressful for the Mets players and fans. Being tied with the Milwaukee Brewers for the wild card, everyone showed up at the stadium unsure of what the future had in store. It was either the last day of the season, a prelude to wild card tie breaker or (with a Cubs win) a trip to NLDS.

Of course we all know how this story played out. The Mets dropped the ball and lost 4-2 to the Florida Marlins. The season was over and so was the legacy of Shea Stadium.

After the game the historical 46 years of Shea Stadium were celebrated by Mets players young and old including team members of the 1969 and 1986 World Series Champion roster.

It was a solemn day for me as well. I have many fond memories of enjoying seeing my favorite baseball team in their old home. I grew up watching players such as Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Lenny Dykstra, Keith Hernandez and Mookie Wilson. I was there for the highs and lows. Now I'm waiting for the highs at Citi Field.

1 comment: