Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Angel in the Outfield


The good news is that Carlos Beltran is close to being ready to play 
again. The bad news is that it's going to cut into the playing time of 
The Mets most valuable player thus far this season.
Angel Pagan has played some inspired baseball this season. His hitting 
has been timely and effective, and his defense and running has been as 
exciting as anyone this side of Jose Reyes.
Mets management has difficult decisions to make here. How do you get 
maximum production from the centerfield position without stepping on 
anyone's toes? How do you placate both a former and potential all-star?
The real question is of course; what is best for the team?
I have been critical of Jerry Manuel in the past; but I must say this 
is not going to be an easy task. I hope that whatever transpires in 
the coming weeks prove to strengthen The Mets. If Manuel is successful 
in juggling his outfielders to their maximum effectiveness I will be 
duly impressed. But in any case I believe that in orderfor Pagan to 
maintain his sharpness he needs to play regularly.

By the way, another option would be to use Pagan as trade bait to get 
a frontline pitcher. There I said it; but let me close the article 
with this caveat: we don't know what Beltran is capable of doing yet. 
The Mets are playing some great baseball without a major trade. I just 
don't think trading someone like Pagan is a wise decision to make at 
this point. Not when there are so many unknown variables with Beltran 
and his injuries. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment